Thursday, January 28, 2010

Five Months Old!



Dearest Delaney,

Okay, I've changed my mind- no more growing up!  You are growing up just too too fast for us!  We are having a ball watching more and more of your personality shine through.

This month you have been rolling over (from your tummy to your back but I know you'll be rolling over from your back to your tummy any minute now).  At first, you were very loud about how hard it was for you to do this task.  You grunted and complained.  Then, it was so easy for you that you would start to turn over before we even laid you down.  But now, you're back to complaining for a minute before you actually turn over and and we have no idea why (could it be the attention you get?)!  You can extend your arms while you're on your tummy and push yourself up, like the cobra pose in yoga.  You also love to do the 'bridge' pose, lots of times in a row, and push off (of chairs, of me, etc.) with your legs.  In fact, you are 'scooching' around now on your play mat and in your crib, earning you the nickname "Scooch McGee."  Your favorite thing to do is kick.  You even kick yourself to sleep every night.  One night, I thought I heard a car sitting outside our house with loud bass playing but I realized that the "loud bass" was actually you, kicking your legs on your mattress.  You no longer spend your mornings leisurely sleeping in your swing.  Instead, starting around 5:30am, you sleep between your dad and I, and you usually have one hand resting on one of our shoulders.  It's incredibly sweet.

You are still really talkative.  Your new sound is a sound that you make during your inhalation, like you're surprised.  It's pretty amusing.  You still fake cough and think it's funny when we fake cough back. 

You are still off the charts in weight- 20 pounds!  We are quite used to having the chunkiest baby in a group but at least you're usually not the chunkiest AND youngest anymore.  (However, we are very familiar with hearing about so-and-so's toddler who weighs less...).  You are at the 75th-90th percentile in height but you are still shorter than me as a baby at this age. Up until now, we really have only heard about how much you look like your dad, but this month, I've received a few comments (uh, two) that you resemble me a little bit.  We love looking at baby pictures of you and comparing them to baby pictures of family members.

We are so full of joy, Delaney, with you in our world. 

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

emmylou + miller said...

sweet, sweet, sweet :)

DuAnn said...

she is growing so fast and doing so much. I need to get there to see Scooch McGee! I love your monthly comments on her. Makes me cry! I love, love, love you guys!

Anonymous said...

She looks like the perfect combination of Dad AND Mom! just precious!!