Saturday, May 22, 2010

Nine Months Old!





Dearest Delaney,
I see now why people say "this is my favorite age."  You're such a little person these days.  You're such a character and we have so much fun watching you explore your world- unless you're exploring cords, breakable things, sharp objects, etc.- we are constantly trying to keep ahead of you and the things you like to get into

You are really crawling now!  Six days after your nine-month milestone, you took off!  For about 2 weeks now, you've been slowly moving your knees, and then your arms, but today you put it all together and we are frantically getting serious about baby-proofing now.

You are quite engaging.  You like to get our attention and the attention of others while we are out with your sweet smile or by waving or making your 'hey' noise. We still hear all sorts of compliments about how cute and happy you are but I should also mention we hear adjectives like "squeezable," "scrumptitous," and "delicious."  We're not the only ones who want to nibble on all of your darling-ness!   Not our favorite part:  you using your loud restaurant voice.  We have to choose where we go very carefully.

You just learned how to clap and you love to do that at every opportunity.  You also shake your head 'no' and 'yes.'  You don't understand the meaning yet, but I know it's just a matter of time.  I'm constantly surprised by what you do seem to understand (we spell out m-i-l-k now).  You are also really concentrating on learning words.  I've heard lots of variegated babbling (!).  I think your first word will be puppy/dog.  You really wanted to say it this week, watching Dudley and making /p/ sounds. 

There's a new face you're making these days- "the scrunchy face," in which you scrunch your nose up and sniff and smile.  You're pretty silly!   Our interactions are changing so much.  Just today you decided to put your pacifier in my mouth and you laughed, knowing how goofy it was.  We also have a routine after eating in which you grab the washcloth (making it tricky for me to clean your face) and we play a funny tug-of-war of sorts. 

Seriously, stop growing up so fast.

I love you more than I ever thought was possible!
Mommy

1 comment:

DuAnn said...

I love these monthly letters! Always make me cry! I can hardly wait to see the crawling in person! Love, DeeDee